La Trapa is in Sant Josep valley, at the south-east of Tramuntana mountains in Andratx´s municipal area. Its name is due to a group of trappist monks who established there about 1810, escaping from the French Revolution. They stayed there for ten years. During this period, they constructed Santa Maria de la Trapa monastery, built according the traditional architecture style. The monks designed a system to collect and convey rainwater using stepped slopes and a conduits network which leaded to a big tank.
La Trapa has been preserved thanks to the ecologist organization GOB, which bought the lands in 1993. From then on, many work camps have been held with the sponsorship of Consell de Mallorca to restore the monastery and the other constructions around, which had been seriously damaged in a fire in 1994.
To get there, we must take the road at the north of Sant Elm residential area, following Cala en Basset St. After 25 minutes walking, there is Can Tomeví house, and some metres ahead there is a crossroad. We must take the left path. A few more metres ahead, there is a detour on the left. It leads to En Basset tower, next to Cala En Basset cove. If we follow the main path on the right, it will lead us at a spot from where -seawards- we can see Sant Josep valley, and La trapa at the end. We will arrive there going down the last part of the path, about one hour and a half after the departure in Sant Elm.