Located at Plaça de la Llonja, this is one of the masterpieces of civil Gothic Mediterranean architecture, with it being used as a model for the construction of La Llonja in Valencia. It was built between 1420 and 1452 as the base of the Col·legi de la Mercaderia, which was the corporation in charge of regulating and protecting commerce and maintaining the city´s port, with the right to levy tariffs on the movement of goods. At La Llonja commercial transactions were carried out and the building was also used as a contracting hall. With the decline of trade, it became a store for goods, and during the Peninsular War it was used as a cannon factory. It later became the Fine Arts Museum and was also the first location for the Parliament of the Balearic Islands; it is now used as an exhibition centre.
It has a rectangular layout and inside there is a large hall which fills with light from the large windows which surround it. It is divided into three sections by rows of six wooden columns with helicoidal fluting and with neither a base nor capital, and the roof is made up of 12 cross vaults. Outside there are various sculptural representations, such as the Angel de la Mercaderia (Angel of Trade) at the main portal, the Mother of God with Child at the garden portal, and the evangelists Saint Luke and Saint Matthew, Saint John the Baptist, Saint Catherine and Saint Clare at the towers.