Re-enactment of the battle of the Moors and Christians at Pollença

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

On 2 August, on the saint´s day of Mare de Déu dels Àngels (Mother of God of the Angels – the patron saint of Pollença), a celebration is held to commemorate the victory of the Christians over Dragut´s Moorish pirates, who, on the night of 30 May 1550, attacked the village of Pollença. According to legend, Joan Mas called on the Mother of God of the Angels, and her help enabled the villagers to overcome a much larger army, which was made up of 1,500 men. The festivities begin the night before with a raucous celebration in the streets and squares of Pollença which continues through to the early hours, with the band striking up its melodies in the street at 5 o´clock the following morning.

The action starts at the square of Plaça de l´Almoina, which is where the water fountain of Font del Gall is situated, with the coming together of the protagonists – Joan Mas representing the Christians and Dragut and his lieutenant representing the Moors. At 7 o´clock in the evening, after Joan Mas has called on the Mother of God of the Angels, there is a fierce clash between the two groups of combatants. The Moors slowly retreat along the street of Carrer Major. On reaching Can Nogués, the Ajuntament Vella joins the battle, representing the ancient university governing body on Mallorca. When the fighting reaches the Church of Sant Jordi, the Christians´ cannons blast out and there is further combat, with the men, women and children locked in the church by the Moors being released. The re-enactment finishes at Ca n´Escarrinxo, on the way out of Pollença as you head towards Port de Pollença, with a representation of the battle that took place near this site. After the re-enactments of the three battles, the hero of Pollença takes the pirates´ half-moon flag and heads off to the parish with the rest of the Christians, where songs are sung in thanks for the victory. The event finishes with a performance of Alborada and Visca Pollença – the town hymn – at the square of Plaça Major.

The players to take the main parts in the re-enactment, which was first documented in 1860, are voted for by the local people in the first weeks of July.

Leave a Reply