At the top of the hill of Puig de Bonany, at a height of 315 m, lies the Sanctuary of Bonany; it was constructed between the 17th and 18th centuries, though it has undergone various renovations and expansions over time, with its current appearance a result of work carried out at the beginning of the 20th century. The church has a Latin cross layout and is roofed with a half-barrel vault, without any lateral chapels. The grounds include a lodge and it was occupied by hermits until 1991, which is why it is also known as the Hermitage of Bonany. According to legend, in the year 1609 a severe drought moved the residents of Petra to climb the hill in a procession in order to pray for rain. The rains came and there was a good harvest, and ever since, the hill and the Sanctuary of the Mother of God have been known as Bonany (good year).