The municipality of Ses Salines is located in the south-eastern corner of Mallorca and contains some of the Mallorca´s best beaches, many of which are completely unspoilt. The coastline here is flat and rocky, with vast beaches of fine white sands which shelve gently into the sea.
The village of Ses Salines has a rural feel and most of the buildings here are family homes which have been constructed in traditional Mallorcan style. Some defence towers have been preserved, providing evidence of times gone by in which pirate attacks were a constant danger on the Mallorcan coast, and some of these have been integrated into the houses here. There are also some old windmill towers here, which were used to grind wheat.
At the square of Plaça de Sant Bartomeu, which is the oldest part of the village, is the old church; built in 1664, this was the first place of worship in Ses Salines and is now a private home. The Parish Church of Sant Bartomeu, which was built between the 19th and 20th centuries in a Neoclassical style, is the most emblematic building in Ses Salines.
The origins of Ses Salines date back to an old farmstead which was documented in the 13th century; it was sparsely populated until the 19th century, when workers in les salines (the saltworks) came to live here. The salt deposits here have been worked since ancient times to the present day and are located within the zone of Salobrar de Campos, next to the beach of Es Trenc.