Vilafranca de Bonany, part of the district of Es Pla in Mallorca, is a municipality with very level terrain, and its territory has been devoted to dry-irrigation crops since ancient times. Famous throughout the island for the quality of its melons and watermelons, agriculture continues to play an important role in the family economy. Another striking feature of the zone is tile production.
The village of Vilafranca began to grow around Puig de Bonany after 1620. The eighteenth-century parish church dedicated to Santa Bàrbara is an unforgettable visit. This church is noteworthy for the subsequent reforms which added a cupola and campanile that stand out in the village´s traditional architecture. The oldest house in the village, Casa de Son Pere Jaume, is another point of interest.
Viguet, an Arab well, is on the way to Sant Martí, the oldest country estate in the area. Built in the fourteenth century, its monumental outbuildings include a chapel and a building that possibly served as a prison. An excursion to the municipality´s pre-historic legacy, including the Talayots of Son Pou Vell, completes the interesting tour.